- "We're iron mongers. We make weapons. And what we do keeps the world from falling into chaos."
- ―(Iron Man) Obadiah to Tony in Iron Man.
Obadiah Stane (Obie for short) also known as the Iron Monger, was a character that appeared in the movie Iron Man, and is based off on the character of the same name in the comics.
He is portrayed by actor Jeff Bridges, and was set as the true main antagonist in the film. He is the former CEO of Stark Industries, and was known as a business partner to Tony, as well as a rival later on, although on some terms, Obadiah sometimes does not agree with Tony and they start their rivalry in industrial business.
- 1 Appearance
- 2 Personality
- 3 Powers & Abilities
- 4 History
- 5 Other Media
- 6 Quotes
- 7 Notes
- 8 Trivia
- 9 Gallery
- 10 References
- 11 External Links
Obadiah is a fairly tall American with white complexion. His appearance indicates his age is around Mid 50's to the early 60's. He has a beard, which is colored grey and white and is bald. Obadiah is Husky but slightly muscular in appearance.
This section is under development. Information will be placed here soon.
Powers & Abilities
As Iron Monger
Please see Iron Monger.
Before Iron Man
This history, or at least part of it, is unknown.
Stane was a businessman who headed Stark Industries after the death of Tony Stark's father, Howard, and became the firm's second-in-command when the younger Stark came of age to take over Stark Industries. The Ten Rings soon found out who the target was and felt they hadn't been paid enough to kill Stark. They kept him alive to use for their own advantage by having him build them the Jericho missile. Following Stark's return from Afghanistan, Stane appeared to assist Stark's attempt to refocus the company away from arms manufacturing. While Tony was working on his suit Stane started to take over Stark Industries by sending weapons to both sides of the war.
36 hours earlier from the Military Convoy ambush in Afghanistan, Obadiah attends an Awarding Ceremony in Las Vegas, in honor of the famous billionaire and genius, Tony Stark. After Rhodey finished his speech about Tony, he calls him out to go onstage to receive his reward, but Tony doesn't appear at all.
Obadiah looks to Rhodey and tells him that Tony is not present, much to Rhodey's disappointment. Obadiah then steps up and goes on-stage to replace Tony and explain to the audience why Tony hasn't come.
Sector 16 project
After Ten Rings found the remnants of the prototype armor, Stane made a new deal with them to deliver the prototype to him, but ultimately betrayed the group and had them killed, stealing the Mark I armor. While working on building his own, bigger, more powerful suit he discovered that Tony's assistant Pepper Potts found out about his plans, so he stole Stark's arc reactor from his chest to power his new suit and left Stark for dead.
Final Battle with Stark and Death
After Potts discovered his plans, she and a few S.H.I.E.L.D. agents went to arrest him but they were no match for his new suit. As he was about to kill Potts, Stane discovered that Tony was alive and had come to save Potts. The two then fought in a final battle over the Stark Industries building. In the final moments of the battle, with Stark's power supply running low, Tony had Pepper Potts overload the prototype large-scale arc reactor in the complex. Stane was knocked unconscious by the blast, and he with his suit tumbled into the generator, causing an explosion that killed him and destroyed the armor. A S.H.I.E.L.D. agent working with Stark later covered up Stane's death by explaining he disappeared in a private plane while on vacation.
Obadiah appears in the interactive comics as a cameo wearing the Iron Monger Armor, and crushing Tony in his Mark III Armor. The scene was based out on the same one in the first Iron Man film.
- "We're ironmongers! This is what we do for a living."
- ―(Iron Man) Obadiah to Tony about their jobs as businessmen.
- Jeff Bridges portrays Obadiah Stane in the first Iron Man film.
- Before the release of Iron Man, it was rumored that the Mandarin would be the main antagonist of the film, because the trailer revealed the appearance of The Ten Rings.
- He was the first main antagonist of a Marvel Cinematic Universe film, serving as the first main antagonist of the Phase One in the MCU overall. However, chronologically, the first main antagonist of an MCU film was Red Skull.
- Stane was originally supposed to appear again in Iron Man 2 and in Iron Man 3, as Jon Favreau originally conceived the idea of Obadiah Stane becoming Iron Monger in the sequels after the first film. However, at the end, Favreau chose to use Stane only in the first film, while Whiplash and Aldrich killian were used as the main villains of the sequels.
- In a deleted scene, the final battle between Iron Man and Iron Monger ended in another way different from the movie itself:
- Stane did not fall into the Arc Reactor immediately and survived being electrocuted.
- Stane tried to manipulate Stark into thinking that Stane was redeemed.
- Stane wanted Stark to help him, but then Stark released his hand and allowed Stane to fall into the reactor.
- In David Hayter's 2004 script for Iron Man, instead of Obadiah Stane, a still alive Howard Stark would have been the main antagonist, ultimately adopting the role of War Machine. However, given the similarities to David Banner from Hulk, the idea was scrapped and Stane was used as the main villain in his place.
- There are no References to display.
- Obadiah Stane on Wikipedia.
- Obadiah Stane on the Marvel Comics Database.
- Obadiah Stane on the Marvel Cinematic Universe Wiki.
- Obadiah Stane on the Marvel Movies Wiki.
|Marvel Cinematic Universe Characters|
|| Iron Man • War Machine • Captain America • Hulk • Thor • Black Widow • Hawkeye • Maria Hill • Nick Fury •|
Quicksilver • Scarlet Witch • Vision
|Iron Man Characters
|| Pepper Potts • J.A.R.V.I.S. • Happy Hogan • Howard Stark • Erik Selvig • Phil Coulson • Maya Hansen •|
Ho Yinsen • Harley Keener • Christine Everhart • Dr. Wu • President Ellis • Vice President Rodriguez •
Senator Stern • General Gabriel • Major Allen • Jack Taggart • Chad Davis • Maria Stark
|| Iron Monger • Raza • Abu Bakaar • Whiplash • Justin Hammer • The Mandarin • Aldrich Killian • Eric Savin •|
Ellen Brandt • Loki • Chitauri Warriors • Chitauri Leviathan • The Other • Baron Wolfgang Von Strucker • Ultron •
Ultron Sentries • Thanos